Some quick postgame thoughts on the Panthers' 17-12 exhibition-game loss to Baltimore on a very rainy Thursday night:
Three things I didn't like:
1. Armanti Edwards catching the ball. He had his hands on three balls that ultimately hit the ground, and his patterns didn't look very crisp to me, either. As a returner, he fared better, but Armanti (as he would tell you) has a loooong way to go as a receiver.
2. 14 offensive possessions, 0 offensive touchdowns. Lots of reasons for this one -- starting with the fact the Ravens play very good defense and blitz a lot -- but still.
3. First-team pass defense. Joe Flacco sliced the Panthers apart (8-for-12, 120 yards, one TD) in limited time. He mostly worked short -- the Panthers really need some work defending the screen pass -- but also hit the 30-yard long ball to Mark Clayton over Carolina's Captain Munnerlyn.
Two things I did like:
1. The pass rush. Greg Hardy, Tyler Brayton, Eric Moore... and on and on. The Panthers had six sacks and were constantly around the quarterback, and for one game at least, no one missed Julius Peppers.
2. The rushing game. The Panthers had 142 yards on 26 carries -- usually winning numbers. The one huge negative was the fumble at the 1 from Tyrell Sutton.
3 months ago