Tuesday, November 16, 2010

On Bobcats, Panthers and what's coming up

Catching up on a couple of things:

1) I had a live chat today on CharlotteObserver.com talking about all sorts of local sports issues. If you missed it, you can skim the replay here.

2) Went to the Bobcats game last night. Here's the resulting column. The good news: They made a comeback from six points down with 92 seconds left to win their first home game of the season. The bad news: The opponent was Minnesota, a 3-9 team going nowhere. The Bobcats (4-7) are not making anything easy on themselves so far this season.

3) One of the questions asked in the chat: What are the odds Jimmy Clausen starts Sunday, given his concussion?
I put them at 30 percent in the chat, but it's probably a little higher than that. It's funny -- I was part of Clausen's group interview after the game, and he seemed fine then. But the NFL is taking concussions far more seriously than it used to. The Panthers are about to face a defense in the Baltimore Ravens that is as difficult to play as just about anyone for a quarterback.

You don't want to mess with Clausen by putting him back out there too early, of course -- his future here is potentially too valuable. If I had to guess, I would guess Tony Pike starts Sunday, but we'll know a lot more once Clausen's medical testing is complete and we see how much he gets to practice Wednesday and Thursday.

1 comment:

Dwight said...

I would get a head ache too if I knew I had to face Ray Lewis and the rest of the Baltimore Ravens defense with this Panther offensive line. I predict they will get at least four sacks this weekend.