I'm back from a week off and see that the Panthers have managed to look awful once more in my absence. Far be it from me to waste a "5 things" opportunity, even if I only watched this game on TV, so here goes:
The 5 things I liked least in Carolina's 20-10 loss to St. Louis:
1) David Gettis. After a breakout performance the week before (125 receiving yards, two TDs), Gettis didn't catch a single pass, ran a reverse for minus-11 yards and seemed to get literally knocked off his game by the Rams' physical corners.
2) Jonathan Stewart. Yeah, I know, the offensive line isn't giving him much of anything. But geez -- I'm thinking No.28 is hurt more than he lets on. He doesn't seem near as powerful or explosive as last season, and it's to the point now where if he gets more than three yards on any carry I'm stunned.
3) Matt Moore. Ohmigosh. Can No.3 not stand even the faintest hint of prosperity? It's almost like Jimmy Clausen needs to play the first series of every game so Moore doesn't have the "I'm the guy" pressure build up.
4) Turnovers. How is it that a rookie QB can have zero turnovers against a relatively good defense like Carolina's and the Panthers can have 4 turnovers against the Rams?
5) NFC South standings. Do you realize the other 3 teams in the division all have 5 wins, and here Carolina is sitting at 1-6? For that matter, do you also realize that every other NFL team has at least gotten into double figures in terms of total touchdowns this season, but Carolina is stuck on eight TDs after seven games?
1 year ago