Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Happiest Day of My Life"??? Please!

The Detroit Lions fired general manager Matt Millen today, which they should have done about four years ago. But that's not my point today. My point is this: In the ESPN.com story where I read this, a few Lions fans were quoted as to how ecstatic they were that Millen was finally gone. Here, verbatim, are two paragraphs from that story:

#######
Eddie Gates drove through the team's parking lot in his minivan as his girlfriend, Sue Stanton, held a sign, "Millen Must Go To Get a Super Bowl," out the window.
"I've been a season-ticket holder for 28 years and because they fired Matt Millen, I'm going to renew," Gates said. "This is the happiest day of my life."
######

The "happiest day of my life"???? You've gotta be kidding me. What about marriages? Births? Graduations? The time the Lions won the Super Bowl.... oh, wait, forget that last one.

Anyway, if Panthers general manager Marty Hurney ever gets fired, or if John Fox ever gets fired, or Larry Brown at the Bobcats or whatever, please don't say it's the happiest day of your life if someone asks you about it.

I know the fact that people care about sports is the only reason I have a job, along with a lot of my friends, and that's great. But have a little perspective. I know this Lions fan was happy and probably a bit prone to exaggerating, but that really shouldn't be more than the happiest day of your week. If that.

4 comments:

dcars10 said...

Scott, you need to lighten up on this...

That was adrenaline talking from that woman... I doubt she really meant it was the happiest day of her life

no big deal

Unknown said...

Hurney/Fox will almost certainly be gone if the panthers don't make the post-season this year.

nohuiam said...

The happiest day of my life was about three weeks ago when Sorenson actually wrote a non-sarcastic, non-cynical, non-scathing article. I'm not being sarcastic here. It was after the Panthers victory over San Diego and I was shocked. In the best way.

Anonymous said...

I have on my DVR a local Oklahoma City news program i recorded right after the Oklahoma bowl loss to WV last year. To hear all these people say that they thought it was going to be the best night of their life, and wound up being worse. One fan had the nerve to say OU fan's had it worse than the soldiers in Baghdad. If the best night of your life consists of a college sports team (of a school you probably never attended) winning a game that isn't even for an actual championship... than maybe you need to reevaluate your life. I love sports, and the Panthers... but my life doesn't depend on their successes and failures....