Monday, January 18, 2010

'Don't tell Coach Brown but...'

3 thoughts on the Bobcats' 105-103 win over Sacramento Monday afternoon, which was Charlotte's fifth win in a row. My column on Raymond Felton from the game is here:

1. Gerald Wallace's sprained ankle looked fairly bad when he went out midway through the fourth quarter. Wallace usually thinks he's indestructible -- Stephen Jackson calls him "crash dummy" for the way Wallace can bounce up after incredible falls -- but he sounded worried after this one.
"It's very frustrating," said Wallace, who still led Charlotte with 28 points. "Don't tell Coach Brown, but I didn't even make a hard cut."

On the play, Wallace was trying to go backdoor and stepped on an opposing player's foot. He said if he had made a harder cut it might not have happened.

2. Sean May was a non-factor for Sacramento, not even suiting up. It's apparent coach Paul Westphal doesn't have May in his plans, and I imagine May will be looking for another team over the summer. I saw May afterward briefly and he looked slim, for him, but it's obvious the Kings are going in a different direction.

3. This isn't that weird since the Bobcats are 17-4 at home this season. But I've now gone to seven Bobcats games this season, and they are 7-0. Six of those games were for coverage for the newspaper, and one was as a fan when I bought tickets. Strange, huh?

The Bobcats' media relations staff has noticed this trend now, up to the point that it is a running joke. I need to go see Charlotte on the road for a game -- where the Bobcats are 3-15 -- to get a more realistic glimpse of these guys.

9 comments:

Kenneth said...

Scott,

I'm glad that you are providing a forum for fans to talk about the Bobcats. The last time you brought up the fact that Gerald Wallace should make the All-star team I was the only person that posted a comment. Gerald Wallace and this team desrves better than that. Wallace has had a sensational season. The team has been crushing their opposition the last few games. It simply is time for the fans of Charlotte to stop taking out whatever grudges they hold regarding Shinn and the Hornets on this team. This team plays their hearts out. Charlotteans have been much to critical of the Bobcats management. Larry Brown has to be a contender for coach of the year at this point. Also, let's give Bob Johnson and Michael Jordan credit for bringing in the right coach for this young, up and coming team.

Anonymous said...

I've done my part and voted for G WALL for the Al-Star game He plays with heart and that's what I love to see. Put a good product on the floor and people will show up.

As for getting the town to rally, my neighbors went to the game today and had a great time. Cheap tix and reasonable concession prices. They will be back and I will too.

Anonymous said...

Ah....Sean May might be looking for a new team next year? Maybe thats because he's worthless. He's done a lot on CLT and now a lot for the Kings. If he doesn't improve his work ethic he's gone. And he should since the only thing he likes to do is party. How about working hard on the court where he gets payed insane amounts of money (compared to the average American). Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

i have followed the bobcats since raymond felton and sean may was drafted...i have bought tickets been to lots of games, felton always plays hard, it is not hard to follow someone who loves what they do and gives it his all, any other team he would be an allstar already, glad to see some real talent around him with diaw and jack, wallace has always been there but is finally playing under control. same with felton because they can now. as for may, the talent is there but the legs are gone, imo...

Curtis Watkins said...

I hear folks actually TALKING about the Bobcats now. I honestly believe that is the first time...and I mean, it is only casual conversation like "Hey, did you hear about...". But to me, that is huge. If you don't have that, you don't have people getting excited. Winning is the major contributor there (at least at home)...but, it's nice to think as a marginal fan I would go see a winning team, which after a few regular visits might make me a marginal plus fan, which might actually lead to me being a fan. Imagine that!

Anonymous said...

I think that the lack of support for this team had nothing to do with the Hornets. It had everything to do with Bob Johnson. I, like many of my friends who used to go to Hornets games, went to see the Bobcats when they first started playing. It was clear that the BET founder was trying to build a team based on race. In my opinion, that is racism. I have never supported racism in any color. My best friend growing up was not my same race and he and I battled those issues together for many years. I want to be a fan, but how do I know that racism is no longer an issue with the Bobcats?

Anonymous said...

During the game against the Spurs on Friday, I thought it was amazing to see so many seats filled. Yes, the lower level was sparse; but it may be a sign that this time last year, the upper section was a ghost town. Now, they are a lot more full.

Kenneth said...

Anonymous 9:56 am,

Actually I agree with you that Bob Johnson and the Bobcats had a product going that seemed to display more of an African American atmosphere in the arena during the beginning. I remember going to games the first year and saying this is not going to fly with the white fans of Charlotte. And I completely understand why you would have felt that way. That's the same way I feel as an African American........... well in most settings outside of my home and church. But it's clear that Mr. Johnson couldn't have done his research on this region before he hired all black cheerleaders, music, and other things for the city of Charlotte. However, it isn't like that anymore. I feel that the games now have an atmosphere that is friendlier to all races. I'm sure that now you'll find that you'll be comfortable at the games and that you'll aprove of the effort of the team as well as the other forms of entertainment that is provided.

Anonymous said...

Ok, Kenneth. We all make mistakes. I have always felt that Charlotte was very bi-cultural and never had as much racism as other cities. Maybe much of America is learning that race should not be and never should have been an issue. I will take the kids to a Bobcats game this weekend and hope we don't jinx their winning streak. :-)