Friday, December 11, 2009

Right move for Tiger, but is it too late?

Tiger Woods said tonight via his website that he is taking a "hiatus" from golf to work on his marriage, which sure needs some repairing. Woods used the word "infidelity" for the first time in the statement -- this following the rampant allegations of Tiger's affairs with multiple women.

This is the right move for Tiger, who has a wife and two young children. If he wants to somehow avoid a divorce, he's got to put his laser-like attentions on something other than a little white ball.

But does this come too late? I found it ironic that Woods' announcement of his break from golf came on the same day that Jenny Sanford announced she was filing for divorce from S.C. governor Mark Sanford, who has had his own issues with infidelity (i.e. the Argentinian "soulmate") and then made some highly-publicized, ultimately unsuccessful attempts to repair his own marriage.

Here's the text of Tiger's statement from his website, TigerWoods.com:

"I am deeply aware of the disappointment and hurt that my infidelity has caused to so many people, most of all my wife and children. I want to say again to everyone that I am profoundly sorry and that I ask forgiveness. It may not be possible to repair the damage I've done, but I want to do my best to try.

"I would like to ask everyone, including my fans, the good people at my foundation, business partners, the PGA Tour, and my fellow competitors, for their understanding. What's most important now is that my family has the time, privacy, and safe haven we will need for personal healing.

"After much soul searching, I have decided to take an indefinite break from professional golf. I need to focus my attention on being a better husband, father, and person.

"Again, I ask for privacy for my family and I am especially grateful for all those who have offered compassion and concern during this difficult period."

So what does that mean? How long is the break? I really hope Tiger doesn't know. If he does -- if he's already penciling himself in for the 2010 Masters in April as usual, for instance -- that's very cynical.

How would he know at this point, really? If he's serious about trying to fix things, he shouldn't know how long this break will last. Golf will suffer, but it will survive. Tiger sounds like he's trying to get his priorities straight. He should get some time to do that.

17 comments:

Property Management Chicago said...

Nobody's perfect. Somebody should give him another chance. He's a great golfer and he had said his peace. Let's just hope that healing follows soon with his family.

Anonymous said...

Don't be fooled, he is going to rehab this is a cover. Dude has a problem with prescription meds.

Greg said...

Property Management...are you for real? He all but threw his family under the bus and said I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU. Forget him. I hope all his sponsors do as well. Maybe, just maybe he will learn then what he had. If this was 1 lady I might could and would say, okay, lets give him a chance, but 10...5...where do we draw the line and say ENOUGH? I don't want to hear any excuses about Sexual Addict. PLEASE!! He had fun, and knew what he was doing, so he needs to lie in his bed...even if it's alone. A second chance...WHATEVER

Anonymous said...

Maybe one of many "right moves" Tiger needs to make. With this much coming out in such a short time period believe me there's much more to come. Tiger should keep a low profile for a long, long time. His overall recovery will depend on how much more hits the fan. Who knows, there may be a few unclaimed Tiger cubs roaming around.

Copperpossum said...

I wonder if Tiger has ever heard of HIV/herpes/Hepatitis B&C,ect?
If the gender roles were reversed and it was Mrs. Woods tom-cattin' around,wonder what HIS response would be?

Anonymous said...

Hes a totally worthless piece of you know what !!!!

The historic game of golf who made this nobody famous and awarded him riches has been permenently abused and damaged because of this piece of trash.

Get lost Woods. Dont come back ever. You are unworthy to even be mentioned with the names of the greats of the past.

You stained golf. You are a black mark on golf, sports and America in general.

Better yet. Go off yourself.

Anonymous said...

You people act like you know him and he knows you. Do you know how many men and women cheat? I travel for business every week and have married women hit on me in the hotel bars every night. Get over yourselves and stop acting like he is your friend. If any of you looked to him as an idol/role model or if your kids looked to him as their idol/role model, then you need to take a step back and get a life. No athlete should be an idol or role model. Let it go people...he isn't the first and will not be the last. Please get a life and find something constructive to do with your life!!!

Chris said...

December 12, 2009 10:26 AM

Nail on head. Time to move on.

Freddy said...

The truth is, if Elin has any self respect, she'd divorce him. Promptly. As the details of his "infidelity" leak out, it's becoming clear that the guy's a sex addict with an insatiable appetite that extended to hookers. There was an elaborate process in place where his advance team would secure two hotel suites, side by side, on an upper floor in the cities where Tiger was competing, including here in Charlotte. The girl(s) would arrive a day before and check in early so there would be no obvious connection. (He likely was the "big name athlete" rumored to be on Sally's "Hush Hush" list. Possibly why it's never been released.) And it happened dozens of times - before, during, and after his wife was going through her pregnancies.

It's beyond the pale. How could she possibly trust him again? She'll be fabulously wealthy, with her whole life left in front of her. Cut him loose, Elin.

Anonymous said...

December 12, 2009 6:54 AM
Anonymous said...

Hes a totally worthless piece of you know what !!!!

The historic game of golf who made this nobody famous and awarded him riches has been permenently abused and damaged because of this piece of trash.

Get lost Woods. Dont come back ever. You are unworthy to even be mentioned with the names of the greats of the past.

You stained golf. You are a black mark on golf, sports and America in general.

Better yet. Go off yourself


I'm sure you're a perfect person who has never done anything wrong. who cares if he cheated, i don't see how it affects the image of golf at all considering years ago black people weren't allowed to golf at all on many courses

Anonymous said...

If I were his wife, I think it would be too late - but it really is between the two of them. There are two little children involved as well. I think he is a cad, but I do think people can grow and change. I think this if he hopes to save his marriage, he has lot of work to do and his wife is not going to trust him for a LONG time.

Anonymous said...

If the Observer reported every infidelity by every athlete, every celebrity or for that case the everyday Joe... your paper would be thicker than the garage you publish now!

Tiger is not my hero and I don't buy his products... so frankly I don't give a damn!

Bill said...

Anyone who thinks Tiger should get a break, most probably has had infidelity in their own life. This guy has a Real Problem and he doesn't have true remorse. His ego got way too big and he has issues with his wants and needs as well. A true devoted family man would never think of doing this to his family, especially if he was very famous. Tiger needs to leave golf as long as it takes to show his family he truly cares about them.

Anonymous said...

I hope Elin kicks him to the curb and takes every penny he has. And furthermore, I hope he never wins another golf tournament. He is a phony, fake and no good. The dirty little secrets of the golf world are finally out. And look what it's cost him- I hope he truely pays in every way.

Anonymous said...

Tiger is my hero.

I want to be like Tiger.

Anonymous said...

The brother is a sell out. Why no black girlfriends? This screams of racism.

Anonymous said...

These type of articles remind me of when a writer has run out of ink. It's just a matter of time and this guy will be back on the tee. The whole thing is filled with lustful onlookers. Let him have his break and get his life back on track. We all know that we have had to regroup in our own lives over the wrong behavior. It just wasn't in the national spotlight.