Friday, January 23, 2009

More from Jake Delhomme 1-on-1 interview

As you may have seen in Friday's Charlotte Observer, I had an exclusive interview with Carolina Panthers QB Jake Delhomme this week about how he was coping with his horrid six-turnover game in the Panthers' 33-13 playoff loss to Arizona.

That story is focused on that subject (and can also be seen by clicking here). But I also asked Delhomme about several other topics during the interview. I couldn't get them in the story due to space reasons, but here are Jake's thoughts on:

** The Julius Peppers situation.
Julius is a very private person, it’s hard for me to speculate on what’s going to happen. He’s certainly a great player. Hopefully everything will get worked out. I have so much respect for him. I have nothing bad to say about him.

** His friend Kurt Warner going to the Super Bowl.
I texted Kurt as soon as they won their first playoff game, back before I even knew we'd be playing them. Then we traded texts [this week]. It’s really good to see someone at his age, who's been written off at a couple of different places, be able to do this. I don't know if Arizona will win, but I'm sure they will play well. Pittsburgh is fantastic. It’s the Super Bowl, man. Strange things happen.

** His new QB coach, Rip Scherer [former QB coach Mike McCoy left to become offensive coordinator for the Denver Broncos].
I’ve been very close to Mike McCoy for a long time. When you spend six years with somebody, you get close. I'm excited for Mike. He's got a great chance there.
As for Rip Scherer, I don’t know him, but I had a really good talk with him on the phone the other night. [Former NFL QB] Trent Dilfer called yesterday and had a glowing recommendation for him – they were together in Cleveland. Rip was the head coach at Memphis and coached against me. Trent recommending him so highly -- that meant a lot to me.

1 comment:

KIR said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.