Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Why Cam Newton is not on Twitter -- and other Cam notes

Cam Newton held a revealing news conference Wednesday during his weekly media availability. After being around Newton for a season-and-a-half now, I’d say it was the most I’ve ever seen Newton let his guard down in a roomful of reporters. He was charismatic – as he often is – but also sounded more open than usual.

Among the highlights:

-- Many athletes have embraced Twitter as a way to talk directly to fans, but Newton does not tweet. He was asked: Why not?

Speaking hypothetically, Newton said: “The social media world has turned into they want to hear about the Steve Smith or Jonathan Stewart drunk on North Tryon rather than he’s on North Tryon giving away turkeys. One wrong tweet to the wrong person could lead into so much.

“I think if you do 10 tweets, you do nine amazing tweets they still don’t outweigh the one bad tweet a person may send off. You may send an ex-girlfriend your real feelings on how you feel and she sends it to TMZ or sends it to The Charlotte Observer.”

-- Newton said he had had numerous one-on-one conversations with players and coaches – and one with team owner Jerry Richardson – since Richardson fired general manager Marty Hurney Monday. “That’s the nature of this business,” Newton said. “And I got a full dose of what this business really is like on Monday…. There were some things I feel I could have done for Marty to keep his job…. I’m talking about my play on the field…. I have the utmost respect [for Hurney]…. And I just know Mr. Richardson is going for it in the manner he thinks this team has to go. And I’m all in cahoots with him.”


I'll have a lot more from Newton in my column that will be published in Thursday's newspaper. UPDATE: HERE'S the column link.

10 comments:

No_clue777 said...

I wonder if coach will sit Cam this weekend against Chicago.....work with me now.....a lesson for him to quit pouting, and no one would want to see him sit against RGIII the following weekend. Point made???

Rick Andrews said...

There's no denying that Cams quite an athlete but where is this "it" factor that Rivera was referring to when we drafted him? I thought he meant he was a natural leader and players would follow him. Could you imagine if when the chips were down during a game if the whole team sat on the bench covering their heads with towells and pouting? Thats not a fighting spirit. The games already lost and theres still time left. No wonder we can't finish games.

John W said...

"No clue," indeed.

Anonymous said...

Cam is smarter than he looks. That's all I have to say about that.

JD said...

Sit Cam? Are you serious? You can get your message across to him without sitting him, seeing as with him we have a chance of beating the Bears and with Derek Anderson starting we would have a 0% chance of winning.

Coach Rivera does need to challenge him and I would like to see him more engaged in the game and with his teammates and coaches. Abandon the towel for a game.

Voice O'Reason said...

Hey No_clue777, how exactly is Rivera sitting Cam on the bench going to teach him a lesson to "quit pouting?" Not only does he give us our only possible chance of winning, but he needs as much game experience as possible (hopefully running REAL NFL plays instead of the read option 20 times a game) if he's going to develop as a quarterback. He needs his butt out there on the field and take his lumps, and believe me, he's gonna take them against a vicious Bears defense at Soldier.

Anonymous said...

Why Newton is not on Twitter...

....can't spell?

Anonymous said...

With the woe is me type mood Cam always seems to be in, the last thing that joker needs to do is tweet.

Anonymous said...

A better question is, "why is anyone on Twitter?"

Anonymous said...

I would start Armanti Edwards @ QB this week! What! The worst the Panthers could do is loose. lol