Luke Kuechly signs autographs for fans Tuesday in Spartanburg after practice.
After spending much of Monday and Tuesday watching the Panthers in Spartanburg, here are 5 things I liked and a couple I didn't:
1) Jerry West. A true sports legend, and a friend of Jerry Richardson?! Who knew? West showing up at Panther camp was a nice bolt from the blue.
2) Mike Mitchell. New safety had an interception of Cam Newton and knocked Joe Adams’ helmet off in a drill with a hit that was no more than three-quarter speed. I want to see him go full out.
3) Armanti Edwards. He made a sweet tiptoe catch in the end zone. Don’t know if he got both feet in or not – the defensive backs certainly disputed it – but since it’s Armanti, let’s say he did. (TUESDAY update: Edwards got a lot of first-team reps with Steve Smith taking the day off just for safety reasons, but dropped a very catchable pass in a game-type situation).
4) Steve Smith. On Monday, beat two defensive backs on a double move for a deep ball. As the DBs talked about what went wrong among themselves following Smith toasting them both, he jogged back beside them and wisecracked, “Yall discuss that…. later.”
5) Thomas Davis. Although he has tweaked his hamstring (uh-oh), I liked what he said about signing autographs after signing a bushel of them post-practice. “There’s going to come a day when nobody’s asking for your autograph,” Davis said. “So you need to take advantage of it right now.”
A couple I didn't like as well:
1. Cam Newton's Tuesday performance. Very average. A couple of interceptions, including one Captain Munnerlyn returned for a TD on a late sideline throw. A "good-thing-it-was-just-practice" sort of day.
2. David Gettis. Have yet to see much from a WR who occasionally tantalizes his potential, but he sure had a bad drop in team drills Monday.