Thursday, August 27, 2009

Beason out for Week 1 at least?

Panther LB Jon Beason's blog offers enough clues about his MCL knee injury -- far more than Panther coach John Fox is going to offer -- that upon reading it I think Beason will miss the Philadelphia Eagles game on Sept.13. That will be Carolina's season opener, and a game that could very possibly affect playoff seedings down the road.

Beason (right) writes toward the end of the blog entry: "I’m feeling a lot better by the day, I’m encouraged by how I feel right now. For me it’s all about getting back on the field. The crazy part is, even though Week 1 isn’t the Super Bowl, or the playoffs, of a game for the division title, I want to play, and I’d be willing to suck it up. But this is a long season, and I have to make sure I’m healthy for the long haul."

That sounds to me like a player trying to be realistic about his likely absence in Week 1, although I doubt the Panthers would officially say anything of the sort. Does it sound that way to you? Maybe Beason indeed comes back and plays, but the Panthers will be very careful with a commodity this valuable (Beason was a Pro Bowler in 2008 and, I thought, the defensive MVP of the team).

Also, Beason writes about the injury: "All my life I’ve healed fast and I don’t see why this time should be any different. I expect a speedy recovery. I think it starts in your mind; if you believe it in your mind, your body will follow. I think the guys who feel sorry for themselves take longer to come back from injury than the guys who are willing to do what it takes, listen to the medical staff and attack the rehab."

And he writes: "I hate being injured just because at the end of the day I think being a good player means being durable. There have been a lot of potentially great athletes who can’t stay healthy, and if you can’t stay healthy no one cares how good you are. It kind of sucks when freak things happen but injuries are a part of the game if you play long enough."

Again, if Beason doesn't play Sept.13, that doesn't mean the sky is falling (read the next "Scott Says" entry below for more of my theory on this). Which is a good thing, because now I don't think he will.

And a reminder: You can follow me on twitter at Twitter.com/scott_fowler for more Panther (and other sports) news.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

He WILL play....Mark my words.

Anonymous said...

Get rid of him

Anonymous said...

PLAYOFFS??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Not happenin folks. We should have dumped Peppers and got nothing in return instead of losing ALL of our depth and over-paying for Gross. 7 wins tops.

Anonymous said...

Beason sounds like a baby.

Anonymous said...

Great, now Beason is taking the pussy route that Peppers has. I smell 6-10.

Anonymous said...

Beason needs to stop crying. We could have put Vick at middle linebacker and he wouldn't wine as much.

Anonymous said...

Beason needs to go to a hypnotist for being such a middle school player. I wish you Beason and Peppers would leave the city.

Anonymous said...

OMG you people are clueless...

Anonymous said...

As foolish as those comments are, keep in mind people from other markets, eg. Atlanta, do have the ability to post responses just to try to antagonize Panther fans. Besides, I refuse to believe our fan base is as moronic as some of these posts sound.

Anonymous said...

Ok people let's be realistic, The Panthers will be fine this season. Why all the negativity? There's no need for it. Let's get the season started and go from there. AGAIN, THE CAROLINA PANTHERS WILL BE FINE!

Anonymous said...

ugh... what now? we've got two high powered offenses to deal with in the first two weeks of the season! THIS SUCKS!! 0-2, here we come.